Wangensteen Surgical Society
Dr. Wangensteen’s educational foundation was built on three major activities: student instruction, patient care, and extension of the borders of medical knowledge (research).
His concepts of training were steeped in the necessity for primary basic science investigation through graduate school enrollment without yearly time constraints.
Dr. Wangensteen’s legacy of developing surgeon scientists was a marked departure from the norm in medical education and clinical practice of the day. The focus on training surgeon-scientists continued under subsequent chairs (John Najarian, M.D., David Dunn, M.D., Selwyn Vickers, M.D. and David A. Rothenberger, M.D.) and is what distinguishes our program from most others.
The Wangensteen Surgical Society is dedicated to continuing this legacy to train the next generation of clinical surgeons, surgeon scientists and surgeon leaders.
Contact the Wangensteen Society:
Dr. Wallace P. Ritchie, Jr.
c/o Chairman’s Office
Department of Surgery
420 Delaware St SE, MMC 195
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Phone: 612-626-1999 / Email: email@example.com
- Provide opportunities for alumni to maintain and strengthen friendships initially established during residency and fellowship training
- Promote professional interchange amongst alumni, friends of the department, and current University students, trainees and faculty
- Keep members informed of our successes, challenges, and opportunities, as well as the groundbreaking research and innovation occurring in our environment
- Develop financial and other support for Departmental priorities
- Annual reception during the American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress
- Alumni reunions during graduation
- Annual surgical course – Wangensteen Surgical Society research lecture
- Wangensteen Surgical Society newsletter
- Legacy society luncheon for senior alumni
Surgical Society Council
Wallace P. Ritchie, Jr, MD, PhD
- Henry Buchwald, MD, PhD Past President
- John P. Delaney, MD, PhD
- Stanley M. Goldberg, MD
- Richard J. Migliori, MD
- John S. Najarian, MD
- David A. Rothenberger, MD
- Sara J. Shumway, MD